As someone who was born and raised in this country, I have never been so appalled by our government’s handling of foreign policy as I have been this week. Instead of focusing on the facts related to how refugees enter the United States, our politicians have done the following:
- Ben Carson called Syrian refugees “rabid dogs” and then later said all foreigners should be tracked in a database
- Chris Christie tried repeating the belief that all of the Paris terrorists were Syrian refugees
- Donald Trump suggested that we keep a list of all Muslims in the country and make them wear special ID badges (like the Jewish people before the Holocaust . . .)
- 31 state governors have said they will not allow refugees in their states
- The House of Representatives overwhelmingly voted to halt the Syrian refugees from entering the U.S.
- And some of these same members are thinking of shutting down the government over the issue
Because nothing says “Land of the free, home of the brave” like overreacting to hateful rhetoric and false information.
That is why, instead of listing the long path that refugees must take to get here (which takes at minimum two years), I decided instead to create an infographic for it. This way, the message can come across loud and clear.
So please enjoy and share so that maybe, just maybe, people might listen to the truth instead of vicious lies.
And for anyone who would like to fact-check my information, I am directly quoting all of the infographic materials from here.
Featured image by WikiMedia Commons, available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial license.